I am a bad wife.
Not like an abusive wife. Please don't get the two mixed up.
Just a bad one.
I guess I'm just not as wifely as I would like to be.
But that's all going to change.
Now, I wish I had enough time and energy to clean the house, and have a hot meal on the table every day when Brian comes home. But that's just not going to happen. After dealing with 35 kindergartners all day I'm like 5 minutes away from crawling in my bed and staying there all night. And, now that I've been going to the gym I have even less energy then before. I'm practically running on fumes here people.
So I'm setting goals.
This week I plan on making dinner every.single.night.
What? You don't already do that?
I know that's what you're thinking. And the answer is nope. We eat out usually every weekend and then at least once during the week.We're awful, I know.
So in an attempt to be better and to save money I'm going for it. I have my grocery list made up and I even bought a dry erase meal planner to stick on the fridge to remind me that I'm committed.
I just need to get into the habit. Then my next goal after this one is comfortably in motion- lunches. Making, packing, everything.
Wish me luck. And any tips would be nice.
Tomorrow's Dinner: Baked Potato Bar (Since I have to go grocery shopping I figure it had to be easy.)
I stay at home and I am still bad about making dinner every night! It is a bad habit I carried over from my working days. Lately I have been doing much better and that is because I plan my meals. And I try to keep something easy on hand to make quickly for those days that I hadn't planned anything.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing that is really helpful is to have freezer meals. Spend a few hours on a Saturday making up things to freeze: casseroles, cooked and shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, etc. This makes it very easy to pull some meat out and make spaghetti, tacos, etc. And a crock pot can be your best friend! There is nothing better than coming home and dinner being ready for you.
Good luck! And you can do it!!!
Jess already said everything I would say. But I'll add that you can go online and find sites that let you plan a week's worth of meals or so, with shopping lists and everything. Don't have any links but a search should get you there.
ReplyDeleteFor what it's worth, I'm sure you're the only one who is critical of your abilities to be a good wife. We're all our own worst critics. You love him and you make him happy, that's obvious in the pictures :) Those are the most important things, even if dinner is sometimes take-out.
Best of luck! And thanks for the baked potato craving :P
Tony cooks and I do dishes. Its still working out to be a great plan since getting married in April. We do eat out 2-3 times a week (date night, and usually Saturday) but Pinterest has been great for finding new dinner ideas and foods to try.
ReplyDeleteAre you on Pinterest? It's been my lifesasver for finding easy meals and getting dinner on the table. (There are a TON of crockpot recipes!) :)
ReplyDeleteYou r not the only one believe me!
ReplyDeleteI too often throw ck nuggets and tots in the oven and call it good - not healthy one bit, but sure eady :(
At our house we made a list of all the foods that we like to eat and then sorted it by category. It's my job once a month to write a complete menu looking at the calendar and what's going on that month. It's stressful and I hate doing it, but it's really nice to have everything planned for the whole month.
ReplyDeleteIf you're a bad wife, then I am too! Ever since I went back to work after Aidan was born, I feel like my after-work time zooms by so fast, I'm not sure where to even pencil in 'make dinner' some nights. It is HARD to squeeze everything in. I admire your commitment and I hope to do the same!
ReplyDelete