WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

This is where we write about how ooey gooey in love we are, about the things we like to do, and about our journey as new parents. Pull up a chair, and stay a while. We're glad you stopped by.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to be friends with an infertile.

Late one night I was driving my bestie Emily home after an impromptu girls night in. We talked and giggled on the drive home at 2 am. The topic of my busted ovaries comes up and we talk about what offends and what I'm fine with when it comes to talking about kids and babies and what not. First off I find it incredibly wonderful of her to even be conscious of the fact that yes, my feelings might be a little more tender than most, because a good majority of people just don't get it. So Emily, thank you for taking the time to ask me and for being aware of my feelings. It truly does mean a lot.

How to be Friends With an Infertile (or any childless adult)

1.Don't avoid me. My infertility is not contagious. Stop running in the other direction when I come your way. It's rude.

2. Just because I don't have kids please do not assume it's because I don't want them.

3. Don't offer me yours. There is nothing that annoys me more than the following phrase:
"Oh, you don't want kids- just take one of mine." 
Hardy har har.
I assure you, you are the only one laughing. As adorable as your kids are I don't want them.

4. If you're not sure of something, ask me. Say hey "Does it bother you when..." And I will tell you. And I will probably like you more because of it.

Just like any uncomfortable situation that you have not been through yourself finding the right words to say can be tricky. I am not expecting you to have the cure-all for my broken ovaries, but just having someone there, to listen and to cry with is all I really want.

Don't leave me out because you think I would be offended. Ask me first.

Lastly just remember that childless adults are people too. We may not have children that we can connect with you on, but we can still be friends. There are millions of other things that can be talked about besides tiny humans. We like conversation just as much as the next gal. So keep us in mind. Don't forget about us.




4 comments:

  1. What a great friend! I know people say/do stupid things sometimes because they just don't KNOW what to do/say. But being able to ask questions and talk about it helps everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain I have said or done ALL of the things on this list to one of my friends [and probably you] at one time or another. It takes a bff like you to get my infertility questions answered...that's why I love you, I can ask and you will tell.
    So thank YOU for that!
    You're amazing! And a gal like me is so lucky to have a bestie like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about them offering you one of their eggs? I get that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I l♥ved meeting you last night................I hope last night I didn't say anything that might have been out of line.........I didn't know and MY HEART HURTS FOR YOU......It makes all the difference in the world having GREAT friends!!!! And...Emily seems pretty GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.