WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

This is where we write about how ooey gooey in love we are, about the things we like to do, and about our journey as new parents. Pull up a chair, and stay a while. We're glad you stopped by.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A mixture of emotions...and it's only Wednesday!

Well boys and girls, I have been teaching all day, full time, no help, just me for 3 days now. It rocks. I totally love it! It's exhausting, don't get me wrong, but I love it! I love my class, these kids are wonderful.

This week has been an emotionally troubling week for me already. Yesterday I had to put my training to the test and report a situation to the police concerning child abuse. I cried. Don't worry though, I cried in the bathroom, away from the children..nobody saw me. How could a parent hurt a child!? It blows my mind to think that anyone, ever would want to hurt something so innocent, and so precious.

Then today, my lil fav guy came back to school after 2 days of being out. (Let's call him A) I adore this kid, he is so dang cute, and has such an adorable high pitched voice that I just could talk to him all day. He wears glasses and his shoes are never tied and he has the cutest spikyest hair. He reminds me of the boy from Meet the Robinsons, but he has brown hair. But anyways, he doesn't have a lot of friends. I often have to convince the other students to let him join their group. I cannot understand why he doesnt have friends, he's nice, and he doesnt smell bad- he's just quiet. Well today while the kids were working on their base words assignment I was walking around to check their work. A had chosen just two base words and had one other word listed under those words. His first base word was sad, and he included saddest. His other word was happy and he included unhappy. I died inside. This poor little boy, even his base words were reflecting his pain. I just wanted to take him to the movies, buy him some cotton candy and call it a night. I cried again, but this time I did it in the class after the kids went to recess.

Being a teacher promises to be difficult, we live in a cruel and lonely world. I know that I can't change the world, or even the home situations in which my students will live, but I do know that I can make my classroom the best, more cheerful place where they can go and forget about how crappy the rest of their life may be. I just wish it didn't have to be like that. Kids don't deserve that. They really just don't deserve that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gracious Ashlee, you are so amazing! I think reporting child abuse has been the hardest thing to try to even think about. You are so brave! I would have cried all day! and "A" will probably remember you forever because you are nice to him and believe in him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me want to cry just reading it. I too can't understand why in the world any adult, especially a parent would want to hurt a child and it breaks my heart everytime I hear about it. You are brave and did the right thing to report, I hope that little boy is ok. Unfortunately sometimes officials don't step in soon enough even after reports. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so awesome. These kids will remember you especially all those "A"'s out there. This only makes me know that you will always be a wonderful women in no matter what situation you will be in, including that of a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This about broke my heart. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.