Here is how it works- While Relay is going on, from 4pm-6:30am you have to always have two team members on the track at a time. So we had like 9 people on our team. Me, Brian, Kaela Beach, Derek Beach, Caitlin Beach, Robin Beach, Doeshann Beach, Celesta Brikerhoff and Roland Beach. A lot of Dereks family came and walked too. During the night they had a lot of different activites to mix it up. It was a lot of fun.
THE BEACH CRUISERS!
They kick off the relay with a surviors lap. It was so neat to watch. All the survivors introduced themselves and how long they have been battleing with cancer. It was quite touching. Then they all walked a lap around the track together.
One of my favorite parts of the night was the luminaria service. Around the track there were white bags decorated with different in memory or in honor messages. Inside were candles. So all the bags were lit, and then on the bleachers the word "Hope" was spelled out. There was a lady who began the service by telling us her amazing story. It brought me to tears. We all began walking around the track in complete silence, in the dark. All that was lit were the bags around the track and the bags spelling hope on the bleachers. Sweet songs were playing and I couldn't help but think about all the people that I know that have lost thier battle to cancer-
My Papa lost his battle to leukemia about 13 years ago (i think)
My friend B.J Abney lost his battle to leukemia about 9 years ago.
My friends David's sister, Ashleigh lost her battle to colon cancer 7 months ago.
I also thought about all the people I know that currently have cancer-
Derek Beach
My Father in Law, John
I couldn't help but walk as tears rolled down my face. This just made me so much happier to be there, This was why I relay. I've never been so overwhelmed with emoti
on before in my life.
Relay was awesome. I can't wait to do it next year and hopefully cancer will be cured soon. Thank you for everyone who donated to this wonderful cause!


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.