WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

This is where we write about how ooey gooey in love we are, about the things we like to do, and about our journey as new parents. Pull up a chair, and stay a while. We're glad you stopped by.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Away we go.

This weekend has been such a fun one. On Friday we went to our cousin's, Jenn and Darron's house and ate ice cream cake. Can you believe my husband has gone almost 25 years without having an ice cream cake? Crazy I know. So we got him one and he loved it. Then on Saturday we celebrated both of us being back to work full time with a "Two paycheck party". We went to lunch, went to the mall to get some much needed clothes, went to Sally's to get me a new straightener since my beloved Chi died, and then went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory and then saw Going the Distance. It was a busy and awesome day.

Yesterday we went to church, and then sat around and did a whole lot of nothing. Last night we watched Away We Go on our netflix. It was my choice to watch it, and I kind of knew what it was about, but I didn't think that babies and parenting would be such a huge topic. It caught me off guard and I spent many scenes with tears in my eyes, and with an aching heart. There was a scene that almost killed me. Here's the quote: Let me set up the scene for you. So in the movie the couple is having their first child and they are looking for the perfect place to raise her. So they are going around looking at places where their closest friends and family live. They meet up with their friends who live in Montreal. They are an adorable couple with a melting pot family full of children they've adopted. They go out to dinner and this conversation happens between the two guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Tom Garnett: She had another miscarriage.

Burt Farlander: What? When?

Tom Garnett: Thursday.

Burt Farlander: This Thursday?

Tom Garnett: Yeah. This is her fifth. I know she loves all those kids like, like they were her own blood. But, I wonder if we've been selfish. People like us we wait till our thirties and then we're surprised when the babies aren't so easy to make anymore and then every day another million fourteen year olds get pregnant without trying. It's a terrible feeling, this helpless, man. You just watch these babies grow and then fade. You don't know if you're supposed to name them, or bury them, or... I'm sorry.

Sad right? I cried. and then later in the movie the main couple is talking about how unfair that their friend keeps having miscarriages, how it's unfair that perfectly good parents can't have babies, but terrible parents can. How its unfair for wonderful children to grow up with just one parent and that some children's parents leave them by choice.  It was a very touching scene and I'm glad that Hollywood in a way has addressed the unfairness of infertility.

But man, I surely wasn't expecting the movie to be like that. But it was a good movie.

Happy Labor Day Bloggers. I hope you have a fabulous one!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that movie, or if I have, I don't remember. Sounds like I'll have to see it.

    Happy Labor Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I've never heard of that movie either. The part where you said some children's parents leave them by choice hits home. I try not to think about it often, but me and the hubby were just talking about this very topic today. My mother took off when I was 12...it's always boggled my mind how a woman could do that. Especially now that I'm older, have my own kids and I have several friends that are struggling to have children...she was able to have 3 but chose to just up and leave...How in the world does a woman do that? I could not imagine... Sorry, didn't mean to get all personal or write a novel on your blog. Just know that I think about you and pray for you guys often. You're going to be a great mom. I hope your appointment goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that movie! I didn't think I'd like it very much, but I just thought it was well-made and very sincere. I'm excited that you are going to the doctor soon and can hopefully get some answers!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.