So if anyone has any knowledge on this topic, I would love to talk with you.
So cycle one was a bust. I'm currently on CD37 and taking Pro.vera to encourage AF to come. I feel pretty miserable and don't remember feeling like this last month. Is it normal to feel sick while taking Pro.vera? I'm also taking 1500 mg of Metformin which has given me no side effects whatsoever.
So my question is, if you take or have taken pro.vera when do/did you start taking it? I hate having such long cycles but I don't want to start taking the pro.vera too early if there is a baby bean trying to grow. Did your cycles eventually start on their own? What should I expect from this?
I am sorry you're feeling poorly. Here's been my experience.
ReplyDeleteI have taken Provera several times to induce AF and each time I took it from 7 to 10 days. AF would show 2-7 days after the last pill. I get headaches, hot flashes, moodiness, upset stomach, and increased acne.
I typically take it at night to reduce any issues with my stomach...and it seems to help. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.
Here from LFCA. I used Provera a couple of times to bring on AF. I always took it for 10 days and she'd show up within 3 days after I stopped taking them. I usually waited until I had gone 2-3 months without AF, but there was no possible way I could have been pregnant at the time. But yes, it always made me sick. I found it was easier on me if I took them right before bed.
ReplyDeleteI eventually switched to Prometrium. It costs a lot more and it's hard to get used to the whole suppository thing. But my doctor said that unlike Provera, if I was pregnant and didn't know it, Prometrium was safe for the baby. And because you don't take it orally, it doesn't make you as sick (just the normal pre-AF stuff).
Wishing you luck!
Hello – here from LFCA. I have PCOS and have had five periods in the past 11 months. Four were courtesy of Provera, one came on its own after my first unsuccessful clomid cycle. Provera never really made me feel crappy except that I got extremely sore nipples right before my period came. I also had increased acne. The first few times my period came within five days of my last pill, but the last time AF actually arrived on the final day of Provera. So maybe it’s something your body gets used to. I have always taken it for five days.
ReplyDeleteGood luck and I hope you feel better.
Here from LFCA. I've taken Provera three times to induce a period. It actually didn't work the first two times, but that's because I had hypothalamic amenorrhea, which I don't think you have. But the third time was after I had started cycling again and charting my cycles, so I knew from my chart that I had not ovulated and had no chance of being pregnant. I had been 60+ days with nothing and wanted to restart with clomid. That third time, my period didn't come until at least 7 days after the last pill.
ReplyDeleteI was fortunate and never really had side effects from it, but I know many women do, so don't worry too much about that. Some people take it at night before bed so they can sleep through the worst. I've also done the suppositories, though those have always been to lengthen my luteal phase, not to induce a period. They're a lot nastier, but probably have few side effects since they only work locally. But I don't know if there as reliable in bringing on a period.
Lastly, about your cycles starting on their own, they definitely can, but I don't think Provera really helps to jump start future cycles or anything. Have you taken clomid to induce ovulation? That's more effective for getting your body cycling.
I take provera every month. It's the only way that I can have a period. I also take Metformin twice a day. I am now down to a 10 day cycle of provera each month and I start it on the same day every month. My doc started me out with it every few months, but after a scary d&c over a year ago, he decided I needed it indefinitely.
ReplyDeleteWe are still trying to get pregnant and he encourages it. He says that in that particular situation, provera will not hurt a baby. If you do find out you are pregnant, just call the doc as soon as you know so he can give you instructions on what to do from there.
With my cycles if I quit the provera for a couple of months my period will come on its own although it is usually early or late and can last longer or be shorter than normal (like three months longer!). After a couple of months, it is always clear that I have to have the provera to stay regular.
I always have strong side effects on provera, but you get used to it. I have very strong pregnancy symptoms, which seems cruel and unjust, but it is what I have to deal with to stay healthy, so I manage. I remember last January, I opened a window and held my feet out the window while hubby bundled up in a blanket in the next room b/c my hot flashes were so nuts. It has actually levelled out a lot now that I have been on it a while and the side effects aren't quite as severe.
Hopefully you won't have to be on it too long. If you have any questions, you can always ask me!