WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

This is where we write about how ooey gooey in love we are, about the things we like to do, and about our journey as new parents. Pull up a chair, and stay a while. We're glad you stopped by.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

small talk.

I hate small talk. It's meaningless. It's usually one person talking, and the other listens. And at the end of the conversation nothing has changed. It was, in my opinion, a wasted conversation.

I have a co-worker who talks at me a lot. What I mean by that is I just listen. I hardly respond, and I hardly even look at her. She annoys me more than anyone else I've ever known. Co-Worker has a 19 year old daughter who has a 3 year old son. (You knew something IF related had to pop up didnt ya?) Daughter and Toddler both live with Co-worker. This is ALL she talks about- motherhood and babies. Well, I take that back. That is what she mainly talks about.

I have not shared my IF struggles with co-worker because 1)It's personal. and 2) she would be that person that gives me totally lame crap advice- just relax!. and 3) that would make us friends, and that-we are not.

So usually I just bite my tongue but I'm ready to scream. Here are some of the comments I hear almost daily-
  • Someone suggested my daughter become a nanny (since she has no job) and when I told her that she said "Ha, if I wanted to watch more kids I would just pop them out and have my own daycare!" oh must be nice to just pop out kids on cue.
  • She is such a good mom! She is so responsible and wow, she is just so wonderful! Really, then why doesn't she have a job. Why did she get knocked up at 15? Why does she mooch off of you?
  • When you have kids, blah blah blah. This gets told to me like 6 times a day. It's gets old.
  • Oh my daughter is so exhausted. Being a mom is so hard. Be happy it's just you and your husband.
Let me just tell you- it drives me crazy. I just needed to vent.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh, that stinks! I'm sorry you have to be around her at work. I lvoe your "that would make us friends, and that-we are not" line, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when you have coworkers like that. Sorry :(
    Vent any time, it helps (a little)

    Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuck! i want to punch her in the face. people like that bugs the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those situations where I dearly wish that Harry Potter magic were real. Because then we could invent a candy that stuck her teeth together so she would shut up and stop talking about her teenage daughter's child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that she is annoying to you, but honestly you can't complain if you haven't told her your IF struggles. I'm sure if she knew she wouldn't be so in your face with these kinds of conversations.

    Also I just want you to know that for some of us who can get pregnant easily, we still do have compassion for those who can't. Please understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anonymous-

    Yes I can complain. Because even if I could pop out babies- hearing about her daughter and baby is annoying to everyone at work- not just me. And I'm almost positive that if she did know my struggle she would make it more obvious and give me advice that worked for her or for someone she knows. She's that type of person.

    and I have never once said that regular women don't feel compassion for those of us that are irregular. In fact some of my greatest support comes from my friends who are baby making factories. It's the people that rub it in our faces, or who talk to us like we're broken or that treat their babies like crap that bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when people tell me that we're lucky just to be the two of us and that we should enjoy it while it lasts. We've been together five years and we're just fine thank you. We've traveled and moved and got a dog and done all kinds of things. We're ready for kids and unfortunately at this moment "just enjoying being two" is a little bit depressing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.