WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

This is where we write about how ooey gooey in love we are, about the things we like to do, and about our journey as new parents. Pull up a chair, and stay a while. We're glad you stopped by.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

not the best day.

Today was a beautiful overcast and slightly rainy day which is an unusual occurrence for Arizona at this time of year. My class was behaving better than usual and I looked pretty dang hot. I thought the day would be wonderfully perfect and at the end of the day I would drive away into the sunset to my wonderful husband.

Ha..

Instead after my kiddos had all gone home I drove to my doctor's appointment. I was welcomed into a room filled with approximately 2 pregnant teens, 3 pregnant grown ups and 1 pregnant something. There was a lady to my right who was fighting with her boyfriend on the phone about how he had gotten some other girl pregnant and she just couldn't have that conversation with him right then. I felt like I was in my own real life Jerry Springer episode.

There were three Ashlee's in the room and they kept using first names only. So when I got called back I checked to make sure I was the one, and the lady responded "Yes, the non pregnant Ashlee." I should've just left then. I already had tears in my eyes and knew that I wasn't going to miraculously get pregnant by the time I got into the room so bad news was all that was coming to me.

I get into the room and sit staring at the diagram of the vagina that was on the back of the door. Gross. Just gross. Then the doctor and his intern came in. I was greeted with a "You're pregnant?!" by the doctor and a high five. How awkward it was when I told him, yet again that nope, I surely was not.

We proceeded to talk about what I've tried and then he tells me there's nothing more he could do for me and I'll have to go an RE. He tells me some stupid story about how I shouldn't try to hard and sends me on my merry way. I can't believe he pulled the just relax card. How dare he?!

I held in my tears until I got to my car and then proceeded to cry the entire way home. and then some more in my bed until Brian came home. Then I cried with him until he convinced me to go shopping. (Does he know me or what?)

I called the RE just to see how much my initial visit would cost. $300. Barf. Did that make you throw up too? I should be spending $300 bucks on a crib. Not on a doctor's appointment.

I feel like my future is crashing down around me. I feel like I am not in control of anything. I hate that I can't just get pregnant. I hate that our financial future could be in jeopardy just so we can have a baby. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I hate that Brian and I don't get to playfully joke that I might get pregnant or that I can't cringe when anyone asks me if we're planning to have kids soon. I hate that I feel so empty inside. I hate that I cannot make my mom a Grandma. I hate being the only non-parent in the room. I hate that there are so many couples that have to face this horrible trial and yet there is little or no programs to help them.

I don't know what to do. My heart is broken. I feel like my body has betrayed me and there is just no end in sight.

I need some cheering up. I need to know that this too shall pass.

9 comments:

  1. Sending lots of giant hugs your way.

    I am sorry you had a bad day. The doctors appointment sounds just awful. :(

    It isn't fair that so many of us have to endure such heart ache to have a baby. It really just sucks big time.

    All I can tell you is that even though some days are just crap, you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going..Because we are STRONG and all this stuff is making us stronger (even if it doesn't really feel like it right now). And when we hold our babies in our arms, all this will be totally worth it.

    But for now, give yourself time to cry. Surround yourself with people who love and care for you and who understand what you are going through. And know that us bloggers are here and we understand your pain. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sweetie! I'm so sorry it was such an awful afternoon for you! My heart broke reading your post :(

    It is such a tough road we face. I wish I could answer you with a cheery "oh, it'll happen soon!" but none of us knows how long we'll have to travel our road (mine has been 7 1/2 years so far and still no end in sight).

    I am saying so many prayers that you'll get an answer soon and will be able to be a mom soon. You and Brian seem like such a lovely couple. I'd really love to see the two of you become parents.

    As difficult as it is, try to keep your chin up. Better things are waiting at the end of your rainbow. And the next time your doctor (or, in fact, anyone) says "Just relax", you have my permission to kick them in the shins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this made me cry. seriously. i know those feelings, it was almost as if i was reading something i had written myself.
    i remember crying IN my doctors office. he just sat there and looked at me. i wanted to try the conception kit thing but he basically shot my hopes down.
    i'm so sorry you are in this place right now. it sucks, but it is completely worth it because one day you will be holding your sweet baby and you'll be willing to do it all over again and then some. the not knowing how your baby will get to you is such a difficult feeling.
    i wish there was something i could do. let me know. until then, i'm praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you're making my heart break for you. That waiting room is an impossible situation not to feel down in. And WTF? Couldn't they have at least called out by last initials? Seriously, that's callous.

    I wish you could have found a decent doctor who wasn't a prick. There are doctors out there who aren't pricks. They're kind of hard to find, but worth the search. I actually see a midwife for all my well woman care, well, I thought I was seeing her because I would be pregnant soon, but that was over a year and a half ago. I love her. I pay out of pocket for her time ($45) and she bills my insurance for labs and crap like that. She routinely spends 90 minutes with me in my appointments talking about EVERYTHING from diet to sex. I never feel rushed and I ask a thousand questions. If I forget to ask something in the appt or my husband thinks of something over dinner I just email her. She even loaned me some books about fertility. Even this one, which despite the photo on the front is a pretty good book: http://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Cycles-Nutrition-Marilyn-Shannon/dp/0926412345

    I hope you're able to find some answers soon, and I really hope you're able to find a healthcare provider who treats you with compassion. They're out there. I actually think my midwife worked in Arizona for awhile, so let me know if you want me to ask her for some names for you. Hang in there! ***hugs***

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best friend is struggling with this same issue and my heart hurts for her (and you) I hate that it's not coming so easily and not that you want to hear this, but I am starting to hate that it is so easy for me. Why? I don't feel like I am any more deserving. If anything I feel less deserving. A mom needs patience which i struggle with, A mom needs a calm voice, which is another one of my daily struggles.... the list goes on and on.

    You would totally be a deserving mother and I only hope that for my friend & yourself that the day will come sooner than later.

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you had such a crummy day. I hate how insensitive some of the people at the OB/GYN's office are. I had a similar experience last time I went too. Asking multiple times if I was pregnant - clearly it says in the chart that I was referred to an RE!

    Also, are there any other RE's in your area? You might want to call around and compare prices. My RE charged $190 for the first visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you. I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. But please don't give up. When you are holding your little one in your arms it will have all been worth it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you Ashlee. The only thing that honestly keeps me holding on and getting out of bed in the morning is my hope that this whole trail is to teach me to be a greater mother. That by all this heart ache and pain and suffering it will prepare us to be better mothers for the super super special little ones that are going ot be coming our way and because they are so noble and great they need mothers to be faithful, steadfast and imoveable. Our someday will come and when it does it will be that much more sweeter and wonderful and amazing! before the rainbow there is Rain.I wish i could say it gets easier but it doens't but sometimes it does get more bareable at least for me it has been due to ALOT of PRAYER and Fasting and blessings. I know you heard this alot but while this is going on build your realationship with your hubby. ps who is your doctor? ps have you tried acupunture? I LOVE YOU! you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Send a link to this entry to the MD's office and switch MDs. You deserve whole person care from each practioner you see on this journey. The high five was cruel and unusual! First do no harm, right?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. But only if they're kind. If you have nothing nice to say, please don't say anything at all.